Friday, December 27, 2013

I own a Singer Sphinx hand crank sewing machine! Who knew???

When did I buy this?
Why can I NOT remember?
I am sure I was infected by Our Bonnie Hunter of www.quiltville.com fame.

The scary thing is I have bid on a couple hand cranks for the last month. Well, after she sewed on her hand crank sewing machine during a quiltcam broadcast.

I did know I had a machine major buried in the quilt frame room. And I also knew it seemed much longer than my other wooden case Singer.

I was looking for my 800+ Spool blocks that I had made earlier this year. I hate it when I clean because I cannot ever find anything. More to follow on the cleaning urge...


And here she is! A very clean and beautiful Sphinx hand crank. Wooden case with key that works. ( this is sooooo heavy I had to have Hubby carry it out for me)

But what is the model #?
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am guessing a Class 15.
Am I right?????? I need a manual but they do have her threaded.
Serial # says she was born on January 12, 1923.
She has a round bobbin case that looks like the Featherweight's case.

No pin rash...some rust on the bobbin slide cover. And there are decals on the crank wheel too!!!!



The decals are in amazing shape. There are some paint spatters on the wooden case. Not bad at all...


Isn't she lovely? They had the crank wrapped up...I never unwrapped her! Never tried sewing on her! Sure could have spent some quality time with her when we lost our power for 6 days last year!!!


See the rust??? It looks as if the finish was scraped off from pins and then it rusted. Should I or can I replace this one lousy issue?


And this is what I was looking for!!!! A stuffed full box of 3 1/2" Spool blocks that were last year's Leaders and Enders challenge. We even swapped spool and background fabrics.

I rotated my sewing area. My back is now to the front door. I am facing the TV and the computer. I swept and dusted and organized...that is how I misplace my things!!! GRRR!!!!

18 comments:

Kathaleeny said...

Easy enough to get a replacement.

email cindy peters at

stitchesintime@earthlink.net

She's on the vintage sewing machine facebook and she's the go to person for parts. I love your cranky old cat.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a Singer 115 to me. They look similar to 15s but have a bit different mechanism. They had this type of stitch length regulator and are not as common as 15s. Hope this helps! You can find more info at ismacs.net

Mary said...

Wow, makes me want to go clean my sewing room and see what I've forgotten in there. Pretty sure no hand crank machines though. Pretty sure...

Frog Quilter said...

You are too funny lol. I have the same issue when I clean, I loose stuff. Congrats on digging her out of the table pile!

Judy Dietrich said...

Hey, you found the box of spool blocks---so things are not that bad!! What a beautiful machine you found while reorganizing things. I like the quilt top on the back of your chair. You get so much done--it makes my little finished pile seem very small. Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas!!

Karen said...

I like the antique/vintage machines with the elaborate decals. Nice machine.

Quilter Kathy said...

What a gorgeous machine! Can't wait to see your spools quilt... that's an awesome collection!

Carolyn Sullivan said...

She is pretty, I need both hands though. I can't see myself ever crank sewing.

Janet O. said...

Now, I may lose things in my sewing room, but never a machine! That is so funny. : )

Anonymous said...

Subee, yes, shes a model 15 (can tell by the unique location of the tension knob), commissioned January 12, 1923 per the Singer data base here:
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/serial-numbers/singer-sewing-machine-serial-number-database.html

It also confirms she's a 15. She's a treasure of a machine, one of Singer's best.

~Jillian in North Dakota

Anonymous said...

PS: Do contact Cindy Peters, per Kathaleeny. I've dealt with Cindy for years--she's honest, fair, has good prices, and has lots of machine parts. You should be able to easily replace Model 15 parts.

~Jillian... again

Anonymous said...

PPS: (tee hee) A free pdf of the Singer 15-91 manual can be found here:

http://www.bluewalrus.org/other.shtml

I'll go away now ;)

~Jillian, again

cmccaffery said...

Hi, Singer records indicate that your machine is a model 15K. 230, 000 of this model were made on Jan 12, 1923 in the Kilbowie factory in Clydebank, Scotland. Parts are readily available for this machine. I sell many vintage sewing machine parts. my website is http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

I have a 1912 Singer model 28 Handcrank. It amazes me how great it sews! Love your blog. You can see all of my sewing machines on my blog http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/

Connie

cmccaffery said...

Hi, Singer records indicate that your machine is a model 15K. 230, 000 of this model were made on Jan 12, 1923 in the Kilbowie factory in Clydebank, Scotland. Parts are readily available for this machine. I sell many vintage sewing machine parts. my website is http://www.thriftyfarmgirl.com/

I have a 1912 Singer model 28 Handcrank. It amazes me how great it sews! Love your blog. You can see all of my sewing machines on my blog http://modern-day-laura.blogspot.com/

Connie

Sharyn Hutchinson said...

Hi Subee, I just (yesterday) bought a Singer hand crank that looks exactly like yours. She did not come with a manual. I am excited to find more info about her. I think she was "born" on December 13, 1912..

debbie said...

Beautiful machine. I have a 128 handcrank and a 99 handcrank, both from the 1920s. the 128 sews great, I need to get or make a base to put the 99 in. It is fun to sew on them

Unknown said...

Hi, I live in UK and have a machine exactly like yours same Y code. The only thing that confused me with mine is no decal on wheel and black plain faceplate. But still very beautiful. Must admit she is one of 15 machines owned by me and I love her to bits. It is the only machine allowed to stand in my living room all of the time and can be used anywhere I like, although as you pointed out is a bit on the heavy side.

Unknown said...

What can you tell me about this one Ja720357 can't find anything on this one I got a picture of it